I know it is hard to believe when today’s high is going to be 94 degrees. But the first day of fall is officially Saturday September 22nd. The days are getting shorter and the nights will get cooler very soon. Perform these 10 tasks now to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead!
1. Fix Cracks in Concrete and Asphalt. There may not be a lot of weekends left that will be warm and sunny enough to repair sidewalk and driveway cracks.
2. Clean Out the Gutters. This needs to be done annually. A few hours of preventative maintenance can avert problems later on. While you are up there, visually inspect your roof for damaged shingles, vents and flashing.
3. Start Composting If you don’t have compost bins, now is the time to purchase or build some. Composted Autumn leaves will be great for your garden next summer!
4. Plant Bulbs for Spring Plant bulbs in late October to reap spring rewards. Be sure to select a spot that gets full sun during the day!
5. Clean Outdoor furnishings and Gardening Tools In Oklahoma it is not time to put them away, but a good cleaning now will mean less work once the weather gets too cold!
6. Inspect Windows and Doors Check weather stripping by opening a door, placing a piece of paper in the entryway and closing the door. If the paper slides back and forth easily, your weather stripping needs to be replaced.
7. Prepare a Mud Area in Your Home. Even if you don’t have mudroom, organize and stock your entryway to serve as a mudroom for cold and wet weather. Put down an indoor/outdoor rug to protect the floor. Donate any unused Coats to charity to make room in the Hall closet for this year’s outerwear!
8. Clean the Fireplace and Chimney. Clean out the fireplace, inspect the flue, and ensure doors and shields are sound. If needed, make an appointment with a Chimney Sweep for a professional cleaning and inspection.
9. Bring Light into Your Home. Clean windows and blinds to accentuate natural light. Add lighting to darker spaces with new lamps. Replace traditional light bulbs with new, energy efficient bulbs.
10. Prepare Your Furnace for Upcoming Winter. Visually inspect your furnace and replace the filter before turning it on the first time. Consider getting your furnace professionally serviced for maximum efficiency during the winter months.